Community Notice: COVID-19 - Council Offices limited access to Public Access, 9:30 am - 4 pm for Cashier transactions.

Whilst we have limited access, please contact us via email, phone, facebook or this website. Cold or Flu symptoms? Get tested. Tasmanian Public Health Hotline 1800 671 738

Dismiss alert

Food Safety


Registration of a Food Business

Food Safety in Circular Head is an important regulatory function of Council. The Circular Head Council is committed to ensuring that food businesses operating within the region prepare and sell food to the public that satisfies the requirements of the Food Act 2003 and other relevant legislation and standards.

New Food Businesses

New food businesses operating in Circular Head require assessment and approval before operating to ensure food safety standards are met.

Before a food business begins operating they must do one of two things:

  • Notify Council of their food handling activity; or
  • Register their food business with Council.

Notification of a Food Business

Food Businesses required to notify Council of their activity are those that handle low risk food. If you are not sure if the food you handle or the processes you use require notification or registration, please contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer to discuss your requirements.

Complete the Notification of a food business form and lodge with Council.Council’s Environmental Health Officer will then contact you.

Registration of a Food Business

There are different types of food business registrations available in Circular Head.

The first is a standard food business registration which applies to cafes, restaurants, takeaway shops, schools, sporting clubs, B&Bs, catering activities, home occupation and other similar businesses. Once a new food business applies, Council will assess the application in order to establish its risk classification.

Fees are determined using the Department of Health Risk Classification system, classing businesses in to Low, Medium and High risk. Registration of this type of food business runs in line with the financial year, starting on 1 July and expiring on 30 June each year. Renewals are sent out by the Council each year prior to expiration.

Fees and Charges can be viewed here.

To apply for this type of registration, complete the Food Business Application Form and lodge with Council. Council’s Environmental Health Officer will then contact you to arrange a time to conduct a pre-registration inspection.

State-wide Mobile Food Business

The second registration type is a State-Wide Mobile Food Business Registration. A mobile food business is defined under the act as a food business that operates from a temporary structure or food van. This type of registration allows you to sell food from your food van or stall across Tasmania on a single registration. However, the Mobile Food Business Registration is not an approval to operate your food van or temporary structure anywhere in Tasmania – you must also comply with various planning, traffic and property owner obligations and approval processes.

Fees and charges for a State-wide Mobile Food Business can be found here. Please complete the Mobile Food Business application form and lodge with Council.

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to operate a food van in Circular Head on public or private land, please arrange a time to speak to Council’s Development and Regulatory Services Department to discuss the following:

  • Does the temporary structure or food van have the required State-Wide Mobile Food Business Registration?
  • Is the temporary structure or food van compliant with other food business or food hygiene requirements and licensing?
  • A Planning Permit may be required if you wish to operate a food van in Circular Head on public or private land.
  • The operation of food vans on Council land is allowed if it is part of an approved event and if the required approvals to attend the event are in place.

Further Information

Guidelines for Mobile Food Businesses

One-off Temporary Food Permit

The third registration is for a Temporary Food Permit. This type of permit is limited to a certain location and date. Most commonly, this type of registration is used for one off fundraising and events such as sausage sizzles, cake stalls, market stall ect where food is available to the public, whether that be for free or for a fee.

Fees and charges for this type of registration can be found here.

Please complete the Temporary Food Permit application form and lodge with Council.

Fit out and Construction of a New Food Business

If you are planning to construct a new food business there may be certain planning, building and plumbing requirement that you need to meet before you can begin construction.

In Tasmania, food premises must be built in line with the National Construction Code (Tasmanian Appendix H102) requirement, which mirror the National Food Safety Standards.

Please view the fact sheet by the Department of Health to gain a greater understanding of what is required.

If you wish to construct a new food premises or make major alternations to an existing food business, please contact Council’s Development and Regulatory Services on 03 6452 4885 to discuss your requirements.

Food Complaints​

Council takes all food related complaints with utmost seriousness, and are duty bound to undertake thorough investigations. Although rare, outbreaks of food borne illnesses can be managed or prevented through quick intervention, and relevant controls can then be implemented.

Council's complaint procedure involves written detail addressed for the attention of Council's Environmental Health Officer, which can then be documented in Council's register, and promptly followed up. Please be advised that all complaints are bound by Council's confidentiality charter.

Useful Links​

Food Safety Training

Food handlers are required to have appropriate skills and knowledge to perform their food handling duties. Circular Head Council encourages all food handlers to undertake some form of food education and hygiene training.

IM ALERT is a FREE online food safety training program provided by the Circular Head Council. The training only takes a couple of hours to complete and if you don’t have time to do it in one sitting, you can do it over 30 days. The training is interactive, and a Certificate can be printed upon completion.

The Free Online Food Safety Training can be accessed by visiting IM ALERT

More information is available at on the attached flyer.

Council’s Environmental Health Officer is available to discuss and assist food businesses to select and fill in the correct paperwork and to provide advice on food handling.