Community Notice: COVID-19 - Council Offices limited access to Public Access, 9:30 am - 4 pm for Cashier transactions.

Whilst we have limited access, please contact us via email, phone, facebook or this website. Cold or Flu symptoms? Get tested. Tasmanian Public Health Hotline 1800 671 738

Dismiss alert

Animal Control

Council provides an dog control service.  New state laws to control cats started on the 1 July 2012. Circular Head Council has no role in the control of cats please read below for more information and links to the state government cat control web page.

Council's dog control fees can be found here.  Important information to remember in relation to Council's dog control fees:

  • The registration period commences on the 1 June and concludes on the 31 May the following year.
  • If you register a dog within 14 days from date of purchase (evidence is required), you will be eligible for Council's discount period registration fee.
  • A certificate of sterilisation is required for any sterilised dog to be eligible for the reduced fee.
  • Guide dogs or hearing dogs are required to be registered.  There is no charge for these dogs.
  • All dogs must be microchipped after the age of 6 months.

For information on changes to dog control laws, please go to the Department of Premier and Cabinet Dog Control page.

If you have any questions about animal control within the Circular Head please contact us on (03) 6452 4800.


Our dog control service covers the registration of dogs, impoundment of stray dogs, along with the investigation of dog attacks and nuisances (fees may apply to investigation of nuisances).

Council regularly posts lost/found dogs via its Facebook page, which can be viewed even if you don't use Facebook.

Pick Up After Your Pet Brochure

Working Dog/s Self Assessment Application Form

Tips on How to Stop your Dog Barking

Dog Control Management Policy

Change of Dog Details (Address or Owner) Form(80 kb)


So you are inquiring about cats?

Circular Head Council encourages responsible cat ownership as cats are wonderful companions. If you are considering owning a cat, be aware that they are natural hunters and can kill birds, reptiles and small mammals.

Circular Head Council considerations:

  • Circular Head Council strongly encourage that if you are considering owning a cat or you already own cat, have your cat microchipped. Also, ensure your cat has a collar and tag that has your name and contact details, in case your cat goes missing.
  • Circular Head Council strongly encourage cat owners to get their cat desexed as this will reduce the stray animal population. This may also reduce the likelihood of your cat roaming far from your home.
  • Circular Head Council also encourages to keep your cat indoors of a night. This will ensure the safety of native animals in the area.
  • Ensure that your cat vaccinations are up to date.
  • Putting a bell on your cat’s collar may help warn native animals of an imminent attack.

For expert advice and useful resources on how to keep your cat safe, healthy and happy, visit Tassie Cat website.  Tassie Cat is a state-wide initiative of the Tasmania Cat Management Project to encourage responsible cat ownership in the community.

You can find more information relating to owning, breeding and controlling cats on the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment website.


For further information on wildlife contact Parks and Wildlife or contact them at their Smithton Office on (03) 64524998.

Livestock Control

Livestock Control on Roads

The rules relating to stock crossings and the movement of livestock are contained within Traffic (Road Rules) Regulations 1999 and are enforced by the Tasmanian Police Force.

1. What is the definition of livestock?'Livestock' as defined by the Traffic (Road Rules) Regulations 1999, includes but is not limited to, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats and deer.

2. Do I need a permit to move my stock?
A permit is not required unless you are leading livestock on a national highway. Permits are issued and enforced by Tasmanian Police.

3. Are there any special requirements when I'm moving stock?
The Traffic (Road Rules) Regulations 1999 have special provisions that must be followed when leading livestock across public roads. These include having two people lead the stock (one at the front and one at the rear) for main roads, or one person assisted by a sheep dog or cattle dog for other kinds of roads (see section 365 of the Regulations).  Due care should be exercised at all times when leading stock on roads to ensure the safety of all road users.

4. When can I move my stock?
The Traffic (Road Rules) Regulations 1999 stipulates that the moving of livestock on roads can only be undertaken during daylight hours (the period extending from 30 minutes after sunrise to 30 minutes before sunset). Stock cannot be led on a road at night except in the case of an emergency, or to lead the stock to or from a dairy. A person leading livestock at night must provide warning to other road users by means of a flashing or rotating amber light (see section 364 of the Regulations).

5. Am I responsible for any mess my stock make on the roads?
In a word, YES. It is an offence under section 51 of the Roads and Jetties Act 1935 to lay down or cause to be laid down or deposited on a road any dung or soil, unless authorised by the road authority.  A complaint can be made direct to Tasmania Police or to Council who will follow up with the matter and refer to Tasmania Police if necessary.

6. How do I choose a stock-crossing site?
The Local Government Act (1993) has no provisions for the selection of a stock crossing site. People are encouraged to be guided by common sense regarding topography and visibility.  People should select a crossing site that provides adequate visibility to approaching motorists where possible. This should be 200 metres before the crossing site, otherwise the person should give approaching drivers effective and sufficient warning (see section 363 of the Regulations).

7. Does my crossing site require council permission?
The Local Government Act 1993 has no provisions for the selection of a stock crossing site. Any person wishing to set up a regular crossing site is encouraged to make contact with Councils Engineering Department to discuss locations and requirements, and to organise the erection of appropriate signage where required.

8. How do I warn other road users?
Approaching drivers should be able to see the livestock for at least 200 metres before reaching the animals. If topography, vegetation or structures make this impossible, you must give other road users sufficient warning that they are approaching stock e.g. a yellow sign with the words 'Stock Ahead' or a flashing or rotating amber light. (Traffic Regulations 1999, section 363).

9. Can my stock graze along the roadside?
The Local Government Act (1993) is not specific in relation to where animals may graze.  Stock owners are encouraged to use common sense in relation to the grazing of stock and should be mindful that grazing along roadsides should be minimised at all times. The grazing of an animal in a public reserve, or any area under council control is not generally permitted except in areas which may be specifically provided for this type of activity, where signs or notice boards indicate that it is allowed, or with prior written permission from the General Manager.

10. Can my animals be impounded by the council?
Under the Local Government Act 1993 council may impound any animal found straying or at large on any highway or on any land owned by, or under the control of, council. The Law of Animals Act 1962 also impacts on impounding animals and should also be referred to for legal obligations and responsibilities. Individuals should contact the Animal Control Officer for further details.  Stock found to be straying may be impounded at council's pound where they will be kept for a minimum period of 14 days after which time the animal(s) will be sold, given away or destroyed. Should the owner of impounded stock be identified then arrangements will be made for the return of the stock after all associated fees and charges have been paid.

11. What if stock has strayed onto my property?
The Law of Animals Act 1962 contains provisions about what to do if the above mentioned occurs. In the first instance you should contact your local police station to advise that you have detained a trespassing animal. Under the Animal Welfare Act 1993 there are legislation requirements about how to treat the intruding animal in your charge. You are required to take all reasonable measures to ensure that the welfare of the animal is maintained.  Council is only permitted to impound straying stock found on a highway or land owned or under council's control.

12. What is a grazing lease?
Many of the grassy open eucalypt forest and woodland communities of Tasmania on both private and public land are subjected to grazing by domestic livestock. This 'rough grazing' or the grazing of 'native pastures' has a long history in Tasmania.
Leases or licences to use Crown land are obtainable through the Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment (DPIWE), if the intended use is compatible with the reasons why the Government is continuing to own the land. Examples of leased and licensed occupation of Crown land include:- grazing, marine structures, and fish processing factories. These are governed by the Crown Lands Act 1976 and Crown Lands Regulations 2001 and can be viewed at the Tasmanian Legislation website.
Forestry Tasmania manages informal agistment licences for farmers wishing to use State Forest lands for grazing purposes. These are obtainable from Forestry Tasmania Head Office, 79 Melville Street, Hobart. Telephone - 6233 8203.
Similar arrangements are available for areas owned by Hydro Tasmania and for more information regarding these contact them at 4 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Telephone - 1300 360 441.

13. Public Liability Insurance
Farmers should be mindful of their liability for any accident or injury which may be caused by their livestock. The cover provided to council under its insurance scheme does not extend to liability incurred by farmers who graze their stock on roadsides.