Community Notice: COVID-19 - Council Offices limited access to Public Access, 9:30 am - 4 pm for Cashier transactions.

Whilst we have limited access, please contact us via email, phone, facebook or this website. Cold or Flu symptoms? Get tested. Tasmanian Public Health Hotline 1800 671 738

Dismiss alert


Undertaking Building or Development

In Tasmania undertaking the development and use of land and doing building work is covered by two main laws.

  • Planning Permits & Land Use Planning (Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993)
  • Building and Plumbing Permits (Building Act 2016).

Local Councils have the role of applying these state laws through Planning Schemes and Planning Permits, and the system of Building and Plumbing Permits.  These laws setup a system of standards, codes and regulations designed to provide for public safety, amenity and sustainable use of built and natural resources.

Depending upon the location, scale and type of work or development you are undertaking permits under either or both of the processes may be required. There are very few types of building works that may be undertaken without a permit.


For current Discretionary Applications, please click here



Where to go for information?

Use the links above for more information or please enquire with Council’s Development Services on 6452 4800.  An appointment to discuss your proposal in person is recommended.  In order to provide guidance and advice on the applicable requirements details like the following will need to be provided:

* The location or property details (Council staff can then check the zoning)
* Size of property
* Proximity to other buildings, waterways, bushfire prone vegetation, or land subject to landslide hazard or flooding risks.
* Type of proposal (house, shed, deck, retaining wall, fence, commercial development)

More information on the standards in place can be found at the following state government websites.

Tasmanian Planning Commission

Who can help me?

Council officers can provide information to assist you, however as the role of the Council is to independently assess compliance, they are unable to take a direct role in preparing applications.

It is likely you will need the services of accredited designers, builders, plumbers, and other technical expertise depending on the scale of your project.  Building work that needs a permit will require an accredited Building Surveyor be engaged.

Who else may be involved?

To undertake your development you may also need to deal with a number of other agencies about the requirements that may apply.  These include but are not limited to: