Sport and recreation is a key component in the lives of many Circular Head residents. Recreation grounds are located at Smithton, Stanley, Redpa and Irishtown.
Many sports are played both competitively and non-competitively by the young and young at heart. The most popular sports in the region are football (AFL), hockey, basketball, cricket, swimming, golf and bowls.
Leisure activities including bushwalking, fishing and gardening are popular pursuits.
There is also a range of exercise equipment available at East Esplanade, Smithton.
Following is a list of some of the sport and recreation options in Circular Head.
- Bowls (Indoor/Outdoor)
- Bush walking
- Fitness Centres
- Football (AFL)
- Garden Club
- Little Athletics
- Pony Club
Council engaged an external Consultancy to undertake a Tracks and Trails Feasibility Study in the urban areas of Smithton and Stanley.
In 2008 Council adopted the King Park Landscape Master Plan, Smithton Recreation Trail Plan, Stanley Recreation Trail Plan, and the West Esplanade Foreshore Park Landscape Master Plan. The study determined the best ways for Council to enhance current walking tracks and relevant parks in both towns.
Open Space, Sport & Recreation Plan 2017-2027
Council adopted the 2017 – 2027 Open Space Sport and Recreation Plan. The documents below form the Council's Open Space, Sport & Recreation Plan for 2017 to 2027.
- OSSR - Demand & Consultation Findings(5438 kb)
- OSSR - Locality Analysis(2246 kb)
- OSSR - Smithton Recreation Reserve Master Plan(30924 kb)
- OSSR - Stanley Recreation Ground Master Plan(23055 kb)
- OSSR - Public Toilets Issues(2718 kb)
- OSSR - Occupancy, Usage, Fees & Charges(1882 kb)
- OSSR - Trails Issues(7849 kb)
- OSSR - Community Meeting Places(599 kb)
- OSSR - Camping Issues(1224 kb)
- OSSR - Acquisition & Disposal of Infrastructure(1331 kb)
For further information contact Council's Recreation Officer on (03) 6452 4800.